View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
billvanseattle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12...g-david-booth/

That about sums up my opinion in regards to Booth. He is more than welcome to his beliefs, and needn't be subjected to death threats or whatever else the crazies come up with. But he will see rightful contempt for his opinion as they infringe of the beliefs and choices of others. If he cannot stomach such opposition than kindly keep your mouth shut. He ought to realize this is Canada and we are more volatile to things like homophobic rhetoric.
actually found the article excellent. Booth has every right to say what he said - we live in a society where free expression is condoned, and believe it helps make for a better society. The only things you can't say are those advocating hate crimes and abuse of children for the most part.

THAT SAID - he is a public figure and what he said gets more attention (this whole thread for example) and if you want to express yourself publically you better expect it to be discussed publically. He seems like a nice guy, but I hate brain dead over the top Christians as much as anyone. And he has the right to say that bringing back prayer to schools might have stopped this - but I have right to respond, (as I have on 4 or 5 other non-hockey sites and newspapers) and say how much that belief system offends me and is systemic and insidious in the US, where I happen to live.