View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 12:43 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
Bob Hess -- good call. I was pretty young then, but I never understood what happened with that guy. He seemed to have so much promise. He was 19 (I think) and put up something like 39 points in his rookie season with a very mediocre hockey team. Remember him and Larry Sacharuk on the points for the pp.

Pierre Plante is another from that era who didn't live up to his promise -- granted he didn't come up with the Blues exactly. One year he played on a line with Wayne Merrick and Jack Egers, if I remember right, and scored 26 times. The next season Merrick was dealt early in the year and Plante flopped. I seem to recall Garry Unger being pretty miffed about the Merrick trade (Larry Patey came in return).

Here's one who hasn't been mentioned: Ed Staniouski. He wasn't a flop, but he didn't have anywhere near the career that the Blues and others were forseeing.
Merrick was a top pick and Patey well he was like a last round draft pick though he had a decent year with the Seals. Merrick had more skill, but Patey is one of the best penalty killers and defensive forwards in Blues history.

Pierre also was in a deep position for the Blues. We picked up Claude LaRose and had Jerry Butler too. Not a bad player, just not enough ice time or decent centers to go around.

Bob Hess was deemed the next Bobby Orr and well....didn't quite get there. He was fun on the penalty kill. Bob would grab the puck and nobody could catch him or take it from him. He was like the 3 Russians all in one, but defense just wasn't his thing... The offensive Paul Coffey/Steve Duchesne type defenseman came later. They were both (Hess and Sacharuk) ahead of their time.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote