View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
On paper, the Canucks do not look ready to hit the ice. They have an aging, battered core. There are serious roster issues. So, Gillis cannot afford to roll the dice on prospects or picks. He is out of time. This core group will fall out of contention if the cap falls to the imagined sixty million because they need a stronger supporting cast now, not a cheaper one!

The future is now for the Canucks. If Gillis trades for potential he weakens the teram. Non roster return is not a viable option. The Canucks need help now and can only accept roster players in any trades. Not only this, but they need high calibre players capable of contributing immediately. Luongo must return at least a useful piece or else why weaken goaltending? Teams interested in Luongo should expect painful cost. Gillis must get someone good enough to step into Vancouver's line-up in a key role.

I do not think Gillis understands the term "stacking for a run". I don't really expect him to attempt it now. He doesn't have the pieces to deal off, anyway. I think he stands pat to get this group a last playoff run. They'll make the playoffs and the imminent changes will give them some sense of immediacy. Retaining Vignault suggests they aren't changing their approach.
You make it sound as though we are on the cusp of a swan song. Our core is only two years removed from a cup run and managed to scrap together a second President's Trophy with Kesler injured the majority of the season and Edler playing like garbage. We are more than capable of a encore run from 2011 with a healthy squad even if Luongo did not return a roster player of any particular merit.

While the potential reduction to sixty million may prevent a hat trick of President Trophies. We will finish top three in the West and likely top five overall. The return for our goalie does not make or break this team.