View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 02:57 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Why buy-out Booth? Ballard remains much more suspect a case. But even him I think can be traded.

Same line-up you have, but replace Jensen with Booth. Then, use the excess 1-2m to fill out the bottom end, bargain bin shop, or keep it for the deadline.

Luongo, Ballard, Alberts, Raymond and Malhotra are all gone after this year.
It's risky.

The idea is that a player (contract, really) like David Booth is valuable to the Canucks because they have managed the rest of their cap situation so well - they can afford a player who is delivering bordlerline results for their cap hit because everyone else is doing much better.

At least they could, when the cap was $64m and rising. Shave a little off that for next year with no guarantee of any future increases - and give full market value to another player in Edler - and all that room that made it possible to get players without giving up much in trades is gone.

Combine that with my assumption that there are going to be some players left in the cold this summer in free agency, I really see a downward trajectory in bang-for-the-buck in unrestricted free agency over the last CBA and I expect that to be the same this time around too.

So.. do the Canucks hold onto a couple of players who to varying extents, kinda, sorta, deliver value for their cap hits? Or do they try again with a bit of a redistribution of value on their roster and another go at the free agent marketplace?

Like I said initially.. just spitballing, really.

(For the record I don't think there's any way the team buys David Booth out, barring a disastrous shortened season.)