View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 02:38 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Calgary is the same team that dumped Phaneuf and he's come back somewhat in Toronto. Probably a bit overpaid but he had a pretty good year last year.

Bourque can be a bit enigmatic but in Calgary he produced at a near 30 goal pace and brought a physical edge. If we can get 75-80% of that at 3.3 mil/year on the 2nd or 3rd line it's a great bargain. That's the part some can't put in their thick skull.

Plus having a new GM and coaching staff he is agood "project" player for them, like Kaberle. Both are capoable of so much more than in 11-12.
I agree entirely.

Toronto traded a pile of junk spare parts for Phaneuf who is still a top pairing dman whether we hate Toronto or not.

Like you said Bourque could probably sit on our third line and get close to 20 goals for a paltry 3.3 million. I don't see a downside to that honestly, hell we just gave Prust 2.5 million to be a 3rd liner and I didn't see the same outrage. Kaberle too is still a top 4 dman who can get us 40 points and dish nicely on the pp, people seem to be freaking out over nothing. If Kaberle hit the market again he would still command atleast 3 million so what is the big deal? I feel quite comfortable with our lineup (once Subban gets signed) and think we have a very solid mix of youth and veteran talent that will help the incoming prospects like Galchenyuk, Galagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu etc.

I think we should buy out Gomez, and if there is a second buyout option we should save it and rate the players at the end of the season. If Markov or Gionta are a untradeable disaster use it on one of them.

edit: Was Bourque not injured and get some sort of surgery at the end of last season? I for one would like to see how he bounces back before shipping him out the door, who knows how the guy could turn it around.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote