View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Alistar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Hey, if you want your top pairing defender with a negative 5v5 GF/60 - GA/60 differential, go for it. If you want a top pairing defender who barely ends up in the offensive zone more than he starts (2nd worst ratio on the team after Robidas), go for it. If you want a top pairing defender that can't be trusted to hold a lead or play in his own zone, then yeah, he's your guy.

Or, you could utilize him correctly, reap the benefits of his offensive game, and minimize the impact of his defense.

I don't know how you talk about a top pairing player needing to play a complete game and then turn around and call Goligoski a top pairing player.
Well as a point in Goligoski's favour he had one of the best even strength 5 on 5 corsi ratings in the entire league for players that had played at least 50 games last year, and Josh Lile had him with one of the best ratios of scoring chances generated / allowed while on the ice. It's interesting how over 60 minutes of even strength Goligoski ice time last season the team generated 9 more shots / attempts on net than the opposition but was somehow outscored ***Had to correct his, I accidently used Goligoski's relative corsi +16 as opposed to his raw corsi +9**. It just reeks of bad luck to me. Let me remind you that in 2010-11 in 83 games Goligoski had an excellent ratio of goals forward vs. goals against despite worse (but still solid) possession numbers. And that generally the players in the NHL with the best corsi / fenwick numbers tend to have the best ratios of goals forward vs. goal against.

Also I don't think that comparison of zone starts / zone finishes is a very accurate potrayal of Goligoski's talent, or a correct use of the statistic. Zone finishes regress heavily towads 50% - just look at the Sedin brothers on Vancouver who started in the offensive zone 80% of the time but finished there just 58% of the time. Nobody would say the Sedins are horrible possession players, although by the ratio that you are using to judge Goligoski they would rank as the worst players in the entire league. Goligoski started in the offensive zone roughly 50% of the time and ended there roughly 50% of the time. That's exactly what would should be expected of a typical defenceman. The part that you're missing out on relying on that stat is that in between those whistles the team was generating a much higher number of shots and scoring chances than it was allowing based on the statistical measurements we have for those qualities.

Do you use Goligoski in the offensive zone as much as possible against weak competition? Absolutely in my opinion, just so long as you have a couple of guys on your blueline that can handle the other team's best. Goligoski has been an excellent scorer from the blue line in the past and generally makes a positive impact on the game when he's on the ice. Looking at the blueline the way it is now however - without Grossmann and especially Souray who took many of those tough matchups last year, I think the Stars have worse options in their own end than Goligoski. Looking at his stats and having watched him over the last two years he doesn't strike me as a guy that really needs to be sheltered. As for whether he's a top pairing defender or not, Goligoski is a guy you want playing top minutes because he can do so much out there which makes him a top pairing guy in my book, even if he isn't playing all of those minutes against the other team's top line.

Last edited by Alistar: 01-03-2013 at 05:41 PM.