View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
eyeball11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I agree. It would be utterly ridiculous to trade for Luongo in these circumstances. It's basically equivalent to trading and wasting assets on a player that a team is going to buy out.

However, it would be even more ridiculous to use this provision on Komisarek, who has one year left on his contract.

I'm wondering if you have to get rid of a player if you use the provision on him. People are looking at it in a traditional buy out sense, but what if you still want the player on your team? For example, take JVR. A good player and I can see him having value league-wise. However, he has a long-term contract at 4.5 million. If the Leafs wanted, they could use the provision on him with the intention of him still being on the team, just his cap hit wouldn't count and they'd still be paying him. I wonder if something like this is possible. I can see a lot of teams preferring this over the buy-out avenue.
That would seem a little unjust. Basically Crosby and Malkin would count zero towards the Pens cap. My wouldn't THAT be nice.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote