View Single Post
Old
06-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Gags1288

vCash: 500
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but there were a few things that stood out to me in your post that I'd like to comment on briefly:

The first was the notion that Hitch was ruining Gagne by putting him on the 3rd line. The problem with that team is that the guys who were ahead of him couldn't play on the third line, they couldn't be in that role like Gagne could. I won't argue that Gagne was a better offensive player then Recchi, Leclair, Amonte, Roenick, Handzus, Zhamonv (the top 6) in '04 because he was. However, if you move Gagne up to that 2nd line (or 1st) then you have to move someone down and their just wasn't a winger capable of doing what Gagne did on the 3rd line.

As for the left wingers that are better then Gagne, I would agree with Ovechkin, Elias, and Iginla. The others that you listed are very arguable. I would take Gagne in a 2nd over both Bergeron and Heatley. Heatley was the left winger the Sens needed because they didn't have anyone else who plays on that side. He's not even close to as good as Hossa and from what I saw, he's not the same player that he was before the crash. Kovalchuk is an offensive dynamo, but Gagne does so many more things that you could argue Gagne is more valuable. And Naslund is getting older plus he had a down year last season. It's possible time is catching up to him.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote