Thread: Value of: Dan Boyle to Ottawa
View Single Post
Old
01-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco5 View Post
I've seen people post this in several threads and I don't think it is accurate. If the cap does go down to 60 mil next year, Boyle will have to go unless you want an extremely top heavy team. The sharks have over 54 mil committed to 14 players. 7-8 roster spots will have to average less than 1mil in salary. Those 14 players do not include Galiardi or Demers who are restricted free agents next year and will likely be getting raises to at least 1.5 mil each. That leaves less than 3 mil for 5-6 players. Among those players will have to be a second line left wing, at least 1 3rd liner, and a back up goalie. This will not work.

Getting rid of Boyle and replacing him with a bottom pairing D-man with 1 mil in salary is the easiest way to cut a lot of salary. The sharks would still have a solid top 4 and save 5.67 mil in cap space. Even if there is an amnesty option, the sharks don't have a good choice to use it on.

Maybe you are a Marleau and/or Niemi hater. Buying out one of those players won't save very much because they will have to be replaced. Starting goalies aren't cheap. One that doesn't suck will cost at least 2.5 mil which means the sharks will save 1.3 mil in cap. Greiss is a UFA after this year and won't be cheap anymore if he becomes the starting goalie. Also, good luck finding a player that can replace Marleau for under 5 mil.

Edit: I don't think Ottawa is a good fit for Boyle. There isn't a good reason to have 2 of the 5 best PP D-men in the league on the same team.
I've gone over exactly how they can keep Boyle for 2013-14 if they want. They don't need to keep Clowe. They don't need to keep Murray. They have players in their system that can step into their roles. They have players in their system that can step into even other player's roles that may be expendable like Burish or Stuart or Niemi if they are bought out via the amnesty. The goalie situation is the easiest one because they have two guys that just need a legitimate chance and they'll be good to go in Stalock or Greiss. They have a plethora of d-men that can play the bottom pairing in Worcester.

They won't use the buyout on Marleau. I never even offered that as an option nor would I. It would be stupid for the Sharks to do that unless they can re-sign him for cheaper depending on how the rules would be for the amnesty buyout.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote