View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 03:52 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
The adjusted numbers do slightly hurt post-lockout seasons vs. DPE seasons (mid-90s to last lockout). The average difference is ~3%. If you are looking at a single season from each period, the difference could be larger, but if you're looking at multiple seasons from each period, it's really not much of a factor.

Lemieux and Jagr don't dominate these and other lists due to some flaw in adjusted points, but because they were clearly much better. Let's look at the other players who were on the adjusted list at least 3 times:

Lindros' top 3 are about even with Crosby & Ovechkin, and Crosby should still have some very good years ahead if he can stay healthy. That shouldn't be shocking, because as hyped as Crosby was, we know that Lindros was even more so. Like Crosby, he mostly lived up to the hype, but both often struggled to avoid injuries. Crosby's and Ovechkin's top 3 hold up against anyone else, and Malkin's top 3 fares well against anyone but Lindros. Malkin is still in his peak years as well and probably the most certain to have at least another great season or two. So I don't see it as adjusted stats favoring the 90s generation over the post-lockout generation.
Yeah, I guess taking account on multiple seasons the comparison gets a bit more even. Still I don't like too much the adjusted stats when comparing ONLY late 90's to late 00's. I guess I feel like the 90's were so little time a go that we should remember the dominance from players and would not need too much stats on deciding who was better than who.

I agree that adjusted stats are necessary if we go more than 20-years behind. I think that adjustment is good way to indicate two different players, but I have hard time believing that Selanne was offensively as good as Ovechkin/Malkin or Crosby. But adjusted stats actually claim that he peaked on the same level.

Jagr and Lemieux are pretty obvious leaders. I just pointed out that there is basically zero list based on offense where Jagr and Lemieux DON'T dominate the modern stars.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote