Old
01-04-2013, 04:52 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post

Carey Price.

Lehner did what Price did. Price stepped into the NHL, but Lehner did not. Why not?

Lehner --> proven domination in AHL: Check
Lehner --> good NHL play: Check
Lehner --> mental makeup and physical skills to play in the NHL: Check

He's ready.

The organization has a current middle-aged #1 and young NHL ready but still unproven #1 who deserves a shot.

Hello people, you don't give up a good pick for another goalie.

Would playing more games in the AHL hamper his development? Probably not. But stepping into the NHL (where he has a good chance of stealing the #1 spot and playing a lot) will not hurt him either.

Carey Price is my comparable.

I agree, Carey Price is a good comparable.

Carey Price was also pretty unimpressive in 2008-09 and '09-10... and it's doubly unimpressive that Halak was getting a larger share of the quality starts in their split workload.

"Sens-era" Craig Anderson >> 2008-2010 Carey Price. Montreal didn't have the luxury of having a goalie as reliable as Anderson has been with us back then. If the Habs had an obvious #1 goalie, I doubt Price would have seen the workload he did, but that's admittedly speculation on my part, and we won't really ever know one way or the other.

I have no doubt that Lehner can be a very good goalie in this league, and I do like the Price comparable, but I don't want to have to go through two developmental years with Lehner as our #1 goalie. And if he's not the #1 in Ottawa (or at the very least splitting games 50/50, which I don't think is good asset management with Anderson, as he's the kind of goalie who needs to start a lot of games to be effective, IMO), he needs to be starting games. Hence: the AHL.

Again: this is a fundamental difference in how you and I see the proper development of goalie prospects.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote