View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Yeah, I guess taking account on multiple seasons the comparison gets a bit more even. Still I don't like too much the adjusted stats when comparing ONLY late 90's to late 00's. I guess I feel like the 90's were so little time a go that we should remember the dominance from players and would not need too much stats on deciding who was better than who.

I agree that adjusted stats are necessary if we go more than 20-years behind. I think that adjustment is good way to indicate two different players, but I have hard time believing that Selanne was offensively as good as Ovechkin/Malkin or Crosby. But adjusted stats actually claim that he peaked on the same level.

Jagr and Lemieux are pretty obvious leaders. I just pointed out that there is basically zero list based on offense where Jagr and Lemieux DON'T dominate the modern stars.
I partially agree with you, but then each method has its flaws. Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby at their peaks do seem slightly better than Selanne was, but I wonder how much of that was due to Selanne playing on bad teams in an era where defenders had much more leeway to hold, hook, slash, etc. He peaked similarly to players like Sakic, Forsberg and Lindros, in terms of offensive production, and many would argue that at least some of those players peaked at a similar level to the current top players. Ovechkin had a great 3 year stretch from '08-'10, but Selanne actually outscored him in '07 & '12, and was 5 points behind him in '11, despite being way past his peak. He also scored 76 goals as a rookie, albeit a 22 y/or rookie in a higher scoring season. It's difficult for me to believe that he peaked much lower than the current stars, when he lost a Ross to each of Lemieux & Jagr. If you asked me who was better for 3 seasons, I would probably take Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby and Thornton over Sakic, Selanne, Forsberg and Lindros. If it was for 5+ seasons, I would probably take the latter group, that's how close it is IMO. Also, while Crosby and Malkin have had their share of injuries already, I think injuries were an even bigger obstacle in DPE.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote