View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 05:46 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I agree, Carey Price is a good comparable.

Carey Price was also pretty unimpressive in 2008-09 and '09-10... and it's doubly unimpressive that Halak was getting a larger share of the quality starts in their split workload.

"Sens-era" Craig Anderson >> 2008-2010 Carey Price. Montreal didn't have the luxury of having a goalie as reliable as Anderson has been with us back then. If the Habs had an obvious #1 goalie, I doubt Price would have seen the workload he did, but that's admittedly speculation on my part, and we won't really ever know one way or the other.

I have no doubt that Lehner can be a very good goalie in this league, and I do like the Price comparable, but I don't want to have to go through two developmental years with Lehner as our #1 goalie. And if he's not the #1 in Ottawa (or at the very least splitting games 50/50, which I don't think is good asset management with Anderson, as he's the kind of goalie who needs to start a lot of games to be effective, IMO), he needs to be starting games. Hence: the AHL.

Again: this is a fundamental difference in how you and I see the proper development of goalie prospects.
Montreal had a solid goalie as well in Huet that year but WANTED Price to take over fully and dealt Huet to Washington in what was an absolutely unexpected move by the Habs. They wanted Price to carry his strong play and even though he was a ROOKIE!

Turned out pretty well for them. I'm wondering what might happen if the lock-out ends... Do we call up Lehner and split some games early on with Anderson? Is Bishop going to be called up instead even though Lehner deserves it more? If Lehner does really well do we deal Anderson? I don't think so but who knows what management thinks.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote