View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 06:17 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaruus View Post
It's true that mistakes happen more often in U-20, but that game just made U-20 look really bad, because I've never seen Finland's U-20 game fluctuate in such a way.
Is this the first U20 tournament you watched them? Because last year, it fluctuated just as bad, even if the end result was wholly different.

In fact, if you look at their performances this year and last, you could almost call 'em opposite images. Started with a horrid 8-1 loss against Canada, then had strong showings against USA, Denmark and the Czechs - but were trending downwards then. Yes, we won the QF against Slovakia, but c'mon, we won it 8-5. In other words, we sucked, but won simply because the opponent sucked even more. Then, more bad hockey against Sweden and Canada in the medal games.

This year, we started strong, then had three weak games, and picked it up again when the "games that matter" began (it may sound unappropiate to call relegation round that, but the truth is, you can't get sloppy there either because you can't avoid Div I by simply being a member of the Big Six).

The reason we finished 4th with Raipe was that he had his highs and lows at different times than Rindell did. Maybe Raipe has gone forward as a coach, but after last year's semi he clearly saw the third period as nothing more than a valiant fight that just didn't go our way, rather than the horrible anti-coaching cockup it was. If he still does, he can coach the hockey of his life all the way up to a decisive game for all I care, but when the decisive 20 minutes roll along and the team under him is again trying to simply prevent the loss rather than actually winning, he's not cut out for the job.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote