View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Reider is having a terrible season this year compared to last. I wonder what happened. Although I guess it isn't just him on that team. Murphy and Faksa are both under PPG guys this year when they were above it last year.
With respect to Rieder, I think you have to be a little careful in saying that he is having a terrible season. His point totals are way down but he is still playing very well. His two way game is excellent. He has been terrific on the pk. And he still generates a lot of chances despite playing with a dog's breakfast of centers.

Last year he played with Michael Catenacci. He is a fiesty little guy and a terrific playmaker. Rieder is a very good finisher. They worked wonderfully together. They were both excellent forecheckers, causing alot of turnovers in the opposition end, and were both great on the transition game, attacking with speed and creativity. Murphy was also at the top of his game, and he fit very well with these two. These three were dangerous whenever they were on the ice pp, pk, es it did not matter.

Faksa is a completely different type of player than Catenacci. He is much more physical and more of a goal scorer, but he is not a great playmaker. He game is also much more static than Cattenacci, something that suits Matt Puempel quite well. He and Rieder do not mix nearly as well as Rieder did with Catnenacci. As I said, Faksa does seem to click with Puempel who has been the only Ranger who has consistently put the puck in the net.

The Rangers have simply not been able to score this year. So to try and kick start the offense Spott broke up the top line and has had Rieder playing with Ben Thomson (as he did last year) and mostly Mattia Marcantuoni. But Marcantuoni has been injured off and on so it has been a revolving door down the middle on that line. Even when he has been healthy, Marcantuoni has been hit and miss offensively and has strugglled defensively as well.

Rieder is a very smart and talented player. Unlike most here I don't think he has to be in the top six to be an effective player at the next level.

BTW: Rieder had 3 goals and 5 points playing for a German team that scored 9 goals in the whole tournament.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-04-2013 at 02:19 PM.