Old
01-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I guess it is all perception...because his play at the WJC has just reinforced my belief that he's ready for the NHL.
Interesting, I definitely don't focus on him or USA players in general, but have at least watched all their televised games, and felt like he was generally just "blending in", aside from the occasional flash. Obviously there are players on his team who are standing out more and grabbing the headlines, but I would have liked to see Galchenyuk be in that group of headliners before I felt like he could clearly be categorized as "NHL ready".
Quote:
Other than perhaps leading the Sting to a deep playoff run, I don't really think he has anything left to learn in the OHL. He's way too good for that level and has been ever since he stepped on the ice as a 16yr old.
Well, I saw him more at 16 than at 18, and he was definitely not too good for the league at 16. Very good for a 16-year old. But not remotely too good for the league. Even now, he's a bona fide superstar in the OHL, but not "too good" for the league. Leagues have their superstars, it doesn't mean the superstar is too good for the league, the way I look at it. I don't know if playing 20+ minutes of superstar duty every night at the OHL level is better or worse for his development than 8 minutes a week of spot duty in the NHL (but practicing at NHL pace)... my guess is that it shouldn't matter much either way. His team isn't going on a deep playoff run in the OHL, nor likely in the NHL. It doesn't sound like he'll be traded in the OHL. If he gets any late season action in the AHL, they aren't going deep there either. Maybe there actually won't even be an NHL season, still, of course. I'm ok with whatever happens. Marc will be relieved to know that, I'm sure.