Thread: Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos
View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prajna View Post
It is a possibility, but I still see Latendresse and Regin ahead of him. So if one or both of them don't cut it, and/or injuries, maybe. Definitely not to start. If he does get in the top 6, it would be a temporary fill in until we find/develop a better replacement. Butler was not close to good enough, and he has proven to be a better goal scorer in the AHL; even in his first year. Hoffman is basically a 20 goal scorer in the AHL. If you expect Spezza and Silfverberg to get more out of him, I see that as a problem.
At this point in time I don't think there is any question Latendresse and Regin are ahead of every forward in Binghamton, with the possible exception of Silf.

However both of these players have a history of injury, so Hoffman could very well be in the mix for a role in Ottawa if the season begins.

That said, I find your attempt to extrapolate any player's potential NHL performance from AHL statistics grossly flawed. The best example of this failed logic is Corey Locke, who by the way would be a much better comparative to Butler than Hoffman.

Butler's problem is he just doesn't skate well enough to play in the NHL, nor is he physically strong enough yet. Exactly the same things that kept Locke from making a successful jump to the NHL.

On the other hand, Hoffman is one of the best skaters in the Sens prospect pool, has great hands, thinks the game well and is developing physically. His one weakness was his defensive play, while he is improving he still has work to do.

These attributes fit the highly structured NHL style of play to a significantly greater degree than a player like Locke or Butler. As a matter of fact Hoffman could be a more productive NHL player due to the emphasis on system and not development.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 01-04-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote