View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Drizzt1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
The thing about our D-men is, when they each play within their means, they're great. O'Byrne is the prime example of this. If Hejda, O'Brien, Wilson and Zanon play the way he does, we'd have a pretty solid back end.

The problem is, Sacco's system relies too much on defensemen joining the rush, pinching, etc and the only guy who can do that well is EJ, and Wilson has his moments.

If the team played more of a D-first system as a whole, they'd be much more successful, there wouldn't be as many odd-man rushes and both goalies would have an easier time with the majority of the shots being kept to the perimeter.

But for some reason the Avs are dead set of keeping Sacco at the helm, and even his eventual successor Quinn isn't a very defense-oriented kind of coach from what I've seen. So I doubt we'll ever see a solid defensive system in place for some time.
We don't have the raw talent laden superstar power in our offence, for our defense to be able to play "defense first". Therefore, our defensemen HAVE to be some what offensive, or our production would dramatically dry up.

For those who suggested Islanders defense is worse than ours, I'd really have to question that statement. Some also stated The Jackets......I'd take Wisniewski, Tyutin, Johnson, Aucoin, Lebda, Martinek and others WAY before I'd select anyone apart from say Johnson and to a much lesser degree Wilson.

Seriously, Hunwick, O'Byrne, Zanon, O'Brien & Hejda aren't exactly world beaters, nor would they send fear through opposition teams, who I think would look forward to playing against a group like ours.