Thread: Value of: David Desharnais
View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
I'm kind of expecting Desharnais to be something like a Ray Whitney or Cory Stillman-ish player down the road. Some playoff teams may find themselves in a situation to want that player, many won't, but he'll get his chances for a playoff run or two. While still probably moving around a fair bit. The bottom line is that Desharnais has great hockey sense, he keeps adapting to his new challenges, and as long as he does stay reasonably healthy, I think he'll parlay that into some point-per-game seasons and some occasional contributions to contenders. But at the same time, his size always means he's not your first choice, so when he hits the UFA markets, his best offers are going to come from lesser teams trying to hit the productivity moneyball home runs, Whitney going to Florida, Columbus, Carolina, Phoenix examples, that sort of thing. You don't get too worked up trying to retain him, but you appreciate what he brings while he's there. Maybe he finds a permanent home, and at least coming up with the Habs there is likely an attraction in the home-town sense to try to keep him around moreso than would have happened if he came up in a different system, but even then, I'd more expect the productive journeyman route for him. He's good, so there should always be teams that will want him. But he's small, so teams will also want somebody bigger/better too.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote