View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
PHX FireBirds18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Conner Murphy has been extremely solid on the blue line; especially on the PK. If this is him playing hurt then I think we did alright.
Not trying to be a homer, but from the start of the tournament Connor Murphy had been the most consistent defensively reliable dman for team USA since the beginning. Now the other dman have come on really strong as the tournament has gone along, but I don' think anyone has shown the poise that Murphy has in his end. Maybe McCabe? I also seem to remember hearing on one of the broadcasts, that the injured dman was actually Sieloff and he was the reason they were holding up the final roster announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Murphy is not at all like I expected. He doesn't fit the scouting reports. He's actually a lot like Gord, but with a big shot and the urge to pinch offensively. I agree he's been solid on the PK. Even 5on3.
Remember during the draft they had him comparable to Goligoski. Haven't seen that side of his game, but he does handle the puck very well for a big guy and has a pretty buttery back hand saucer pass. Big guy with a very active stick, very aware of his guy in front of the net. Not the most fleet of foot but his positioning is excellent. I liken his playing style to someone like Marc Staal. Considerable offensive upside but will likely never reach that playing for our organization with the depth we do have. I do remember hearing during the draft that Maloney mentioned he sees Gormley and Murphy being a true shut down pair in the future.