View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I suspect the primary reason that they want him in camp is more for developmental purposes. It gives them an opportunity to directly work with him and allows him to guage where he stands relative to the average NHLer and highlight aspects of his game that will need to improve. If injuries create an opening it also gives the team an option to use the 10 game window, if that is still part of the CBA.
I think this is why I don't *really* mind even if the team kept him around and only played him in half the games, 5 minutes a night, and exclusively on the 4th line with Blunden (called up to offset a wave of injuries) and Nokelainen. He'll still be around soaking up "NHL vibes", and even in a low-practice compressed season, there are still going to be *some* practices. And always the chance his participation gets bumped up further if an even larger wave of injuries hits. It's only 3 months. If he's as good a prospect as we think, this can't possibly hurt him.

It would be different if he was on London or Halifax or something like that in junior, and had a lot more to look forward to out of his junior season. Sarnia's doing surprisingly well as it is, perhaps, but 25-ish more regular season games and a round or two of playoffs... you could get a relatively non-major injury and miss all that too, and it wouldn't mean the end of the line developmentally by any stretch. High ankle sprain... is he done as a prospect? Obviously not.

My guess thus far is that I don't think he's quite ready to "win a job" in the NHL if it was a fair fight... but I also don't see why it has to be a "fair fight", he's our #1 pick, future saviour and all that. And I don't think he would be completely overmatched. The Habs sure have a lot of experienced NHL guys in their various player development roles now, and if it's their expert opinion that Galchenyuk is better served in this mini-season in Montreal, that seems like a reasonable alternative to me. (Even if I'd have picked a return to Sarnia on my own insufficient data and weak opinion).