View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
racerjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;57097747
Carry on.
t's a massive gamble to assume that either of Kassian or Schreoder can step into a top 6 role immediately, as without Higgins, you'd missing that.

Although Weise and Volpati were on the team last year, they saw very limited minutes and games. Both averaged less than 9 minutes a game of ice time. Volpatti played in only 23 games. To know rely on both players to play an expanded role in 82 games would be a big step down.

Although you may not have been signing Manny or Raymond anyways, you have to admit they both bring talents to the game, despite their flaws. You'd be much better off having extra money to bring in similar bonifide NHLers than hoping players like Volpatti, Weise, etc.. can somehow expand their roles and pick up the slack.
Schreoder will be the 3C this season, and Kassian will be on the big club this season as well, so we will know more as the season goes. Volpati had a season ending injury at the beginning of the season, so do not read into games played, as for minutes, they our 4th line players, how much do you play your fourth line?

I like Manny, and think he will have a bounce back season, as he will be in shape this season after missing training the year before. But every team does it, at some point you have to let your young guns play.

I definitely have more faith in Raymond than most around here, having said that his style of play is starting to not fit with what we are trying to do. skill wise we will miss him, but not fit wise.

The bottom line is you are making it out to be much worse than it is, and this is also all worst case.

Look at it this way, what if I went worst case for the leafs, you don't get a goalie, but your offense carries you too another 9th place finish in a short season, you pick 14th, miss out on a 1C for the future, and there is no goalies available in FA. Burke gets fired for missing the playoffs again, and your new GM comes in and starts a fire sale, and you have to wait another 5 years plus for a shot at the playoffs.

Is that likely? Nope. But it is probably worst case.