View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 12:07 PM
DesertDawg

vCash: 500
I was referring to this season, if there is a season. I expect a floor once the '13-'14 season starts. It's pretty much agreed to that the current cap will be ~$70mil. The $60mil won't be enforced until the '13-'14 season and after the amnesty buy outs. It will give the teams time to comply with the cap drop. I can not see them enforcing a cap floor this current season if it was to start. All teams have total contractual obligations under the $60 mil for the '13-'14, what no teams have for next season is a full roster lined up. There might be 1 or 2 teams that will not be able to fill a complete roster with minimum paid players to fill those spots, but the vast majority will be able to. The question is do the individual team want to field that type of team.

I wonder if the difference between the top players who will receive the most and the ones with the least cap hit will be the ones most targeted in free agency which would allow frugal teams like the Coyotes to get the best players that are in between. The reason why there are so many free agents is that teams can't negotiate with a player until the season starts. A team may want to re-sign a player but may not be able to until after the amnesty buy out because they can not go over the $60 mil in contractual obligations for next season. It will be an interesting off season, especially if the season is cancelled.