Thread: Speculation: Luongo: The Neverending Story
View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 12:25 PM
blankall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Schreoder will be the 3C this season, and Kassian will be on the big club this season as well, so we will know more as the season goes. Volpati had a season ending injury at the beginning of the season, so do not read into games played, as for minutes, they our 4th line players, how much do you play your fourth line?

I like Manny, and think he will have a bounce back season, as he will be in shape this season after missing training the year before. But every team does it, at some point you have to let your young guns play.

I definitely have more faith in Raymond than most around here, having said that his style of play is starting to not fit with what we are trying to do. skill wise we will miss him, but not fit wise.

The bottom line is you are making it out to be much worse than it is, and this is also all worst case.

Look at it this way, what if I went worst case for the leafs, you don't get a goalie, but your offense carries you too another 9th place finish in a short season, you pick 14th, miss out on a 1C for the future, and there is no goalies available in FA. Burke gets fired for missing the playoffs again, and your new GM comes in and starts a fire sale, and you have to wait another 5 years plus for a shot at the playoffs.

Is that likely? Nope. But it is probably worst case.
That scenario is not going to happen for the Leafs. The Leafs are not in "win now" mode. It would be a huge gamble for them to take Luongo's contract in the first place, yet alone give up top prospects and/or 1st round picks to do so.

Luongo also does not guarantee a playoff appearance, let alone a cup run.

If the Leafs decide that their current goalies are not developing, they'd be better off throwing a big contract at a UFA goalie. In 2013 alone, we have the following goalies becomming UFAS:

Backstrom, Thomas, Nabokov, Smith, Howard, and Theodore.

In 2014 you have: Lundqvist, Kipprusoff, Miller, Hiller, Halak, Vokuon, etc..

Basically, my point is for a rebuilding team with big pockets, you have a lot of options and no need to make a rash or immediate decision. Toronto continues to take flack for trading away 1st rounders in the Kessel deal, I just don't see it happening again.