View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 12:25 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
If he is capable of making the players around him better, then it would show at the AHL level. A cross reference in Blues talent Lars Eller had one single 20 goal scorer on his Peoria team back in 2009-2010, and he managed nearly 60 points. The most he has managed at the NHL level so far is 30 points. 50 points in the AHL doesn't translate to 50 points in the NHL or Trent Whitfield would've been a star and we would all have Jean-Guy Trudel jerseys. Justin Papineau at 20 managed better than a 50 point pace with a team that had 50 point guy Pascal Rheaume as its leading scorer. He was a point a game player at 21. It didn't translate to the next level. Michael Handzus was nearly a point a game player at 20 years old and the team's leading scorer. He has never eclipsed the 60 point mark his entire NHL career that he scored at 20 in Worcester. So if history is any indicator, then I'm not quite as excited. The players in the NHL are bigger, stronger, and faster than in the AHL. If you can't score at that level, then you most likely won't score at the NHL level. It isn't an end all for Schwartz's career or potential, but I certainly would like to see first line production in the minors before I would consider them a future front line NHL producer. I'm thinking that he may need more seasoning, especially with the talent that is in front of him.
If you've watched any of the Rivermen games, you could easily see that he does in fact make the players around him better. Two games against Grand Rapids comes to mind. They simply did not have an answer for him. I'm not sure how many points he had in those games, but he completely dominated every shift. Grand Rapids has quite a few borderline NHL players too(Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco etc) and they couldn't stop him. Even the Grand Rapids announcer was talking about how he was moving the puck at will. I've seen one other game where he took over almost every shift too, but can't remember the team. The points might not be impressive, but his play has been very good. He's almost always one of Peoria's top forwards.