View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
What do you mean exactly by "solid overall game"? Because JT's overall game was far from solid when he was drafted, but I know you say it was the right move(or actually obvious, I think is what you've said) bringing him up from day one.

If Griff's defensive ability is ready for the NHL next season, I wouldn't care if his offensive game is miles away, I'd give him a shot in camp. One mediocre game playing in a restriced role doesn't really change the way I view him or his NHL-readiness(anyone saying this guy had a bad tournament probably only watched the last game against USA and combined that with his lack of points when drawing this conclusion). IMO he's still pretty close.

Especially when you consider he was better than Dougie Hamilton in this tournament. A guy who was a virtual lock to make an NHL team much harder to crack than the NYI. A team that won the Stanley Cup a year and a half ago.

I'm not saying Griff is an NHLer right now, but IMO he is pretty damn close defensively. The only thing holding him back at this point will be his skating quickness. He has a lot of time between now and September 2013 to improve that area, though.
Regarding the bolded part above, do you really want to limit him as a player, though? If an extra year of junior means allowing that offensive game to develop, isn't that better than stunting one part of his game?

Whenever I think of situations like this, I think of a guy like Rusty Klesla. Coming out of junior, the guy had the potential to be a great two-way defenseman. His offensive game in junior was raw, but it was good. You saw the potential there, but it needed more time to refine. However, he was rushed to the NHL because his defensive game was close to NHL-ready, and ended up spending his development years being safe and dependable in his own zone, without having a chance to fully develop the offensive side. Now, at age 30 or whatever, he's known for his defensive play, but brings very little offense. A solid NHL player, but hardly the type you expect from a 3rd overall pick.

So whenever I see people say a player should make the NHL because one part of his game is NHL-ready, but the other parts aren't, I can't help but think of guys like Klesla who could have been so much more if they were allowed to develop all aspects of their game.