Thread: Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART V
View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 12:38 PM
StumpNYI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
What do you mean exactly by "solid overall game"? Because JT's overall game was far from solid when he was drafted, but I know you say it was the right move(or actually obvious, I think is what you've said) bringing him up from day one.

If Griff's defensive ability is ready for the NHL next season, I wouldn't care if his offensive game is miles away, I'd give him a shot in camp. One mediocre game playing in a restriced role doesn't really change the way I view him or his NHL-readiness(anyone saying this guy had a bad tournament probably only watched the last game against USA and combined that with his lack of points when drawing this conclusion). IMO he's still pretty close.

Especially when you consider he was better than Dougie Hamilton in this tournament. A guy who was a virtual lock to make an NHL team much harder to crack than the NYI. A team that won the Stanley Cup a year and a half ago.

I'm not saying Griff is an NHLer right now, but IMO he is pretty damn close defensively. The only thing holding him back at this point will be his skating quickness. He has a lot of time between now and September 2013 to improve that area, though.
I don't think, nor have I ever said, he has no offensive potential. I just personally have never seen any offense from him. I haven't seen him play a lot, but in these few games in both WHL and WJC I can't remember a single scoring chance. I don't remember him being past the top of the circles to be honest. That's about as stay-at-home as it gets. That is why I said before his upside is questionable. Always was if iirc.

I do think with Reinhart at a bare minimum, he is going to be a polished and much stronger version of the player he is right now. Nobody can say they don't want that on their team and I will be looking forward to that. But compared to where he was drafted, some people may expect more.