View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Looks like a largely media-driven thing to me, and by "media" I mean non-sports. Living in New England I didn't see them myself, but I heard plenty of reports of local Canadian news anchors urging their audiences to "root for Canada" in the 2011 playoffs. I wouldn't expect them to know that the Bruins had more Canadian players than the Canucks; they probably wouldn't be able to name more than a couple of players on either roster, if that.

There are plenty of reasons to root for another team when/if yours is eliminated from the playoffs - perhaps you're a fan of their farm team (there are 30 AHL cities in North America); perhaps you're a big fan of a player or two or three on their roster; perhaps you like their style of play. I can't see a "Canadian" team or an "American" team being a tangible reason.
The Canadian media does it because they want to increase the Canadian ratings. A lot of those news anchors (CTV CBC) also own NHL rights (TSN CBC) so it's pretty transparent and self serving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
Oh come on, what has Bieksa done to merit such hate?
Have you not watched/listened to any of his pompous interviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
It couldn't have been because of the divisional rivalry thing
The Bruins don't have a rivalry with the leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeyMonster View Post
Really, pretending Ryder wasn't a big part of the win because he resigned elsewhere?
Totally forgot about Ryder. I Edited it.

Last edited by Neely2005: 01-04-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote