View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Well I am only basing my opinion on what I have seen from him personally, not anything else. His acceleration is poor, this is a fact. His acceleration is worse than a lot of players in the WJC in fact.

This becomes a problem for when jumping to the NHL. Now, Gally has the ability to slow down the game quite well, this will help. However, he is still a puck possession player and his lack of acceleration is going to make his bread and butter (stickhanding and shiftyness) MUCH harder to accomplish in the NHL. If you take out or diminish his bread and butter, his value definitely goes down because his whole game is literally tied to that attribute.

Everything is faster in the NHL, you have less time to make every play. If you are already behind the ball on explosiveness, this is going to hurt.

It's not a huge cause for concern though, it can be improved. Hossa had similar problems when he first started in the NHL. But I just don't think he is quite ready yet.
Hossa was very fast before he entered the NHL, the only question that scouts had was his willingness to play physical and go to the dirty areas.

Galchenyuk is no worse than average as a skater but he looked slower in the WJC because the U.S. has by far the fastest team in the tournament. You have to remember that these are virtually all star teams that are playing in this tournament and most skaters on the States are faster than the average NHLer.

I would say that he is currently faster and much stronger than Ribeiro, who plays an effective puck possession game.....