Thread: Speculation: Luongo: The Neverending Story
View Single Post
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Commander Clueless
Dan the Clueless Man
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
He cites the new CBA, in all its permutations. That's all I took it to mean. It's just a dubious prediction from the outset because even if you assume the most restrictive environment, Luongo is still highly unlikely to be bought out. So what is the worth in such a prediction?

SC doesn't state it's a possibility, he predicts it will happen. Meaning, He has evaluated the information and drawn a conclusion. This is not entertaining a concept with balance, and postulating on an outcome given conditions, this is an outright expectation based on nothing.

Luongo is highly unlikely to be bought out based on you evaluating the information and drawing a conclusion? Sort of like what he did, but the opposite?

Sounds like a discussion with different points of view to me. Since we're talking about a situation in the future and don't even have all of the variables, its all postulating.

And no its not based on nothing. As you mentioned, its an evaluation and conclusion based on available information.

It's not something pulled out of left field like, say, Luongo will retire.

Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Yet Burke keeps calling and he has made more than one offer?... Followed by the much talked about Shannon and Millard speculations. What do you think has brought this about?

In 2013, Howard and Smith are very unlikely to make it to UFA and the other goalies are stop gaps. If Burke wanted a stop gap, why did he pass on Vokoun?
Just curious, but when was it confirmed Burke has made an offer for Luongo? Burke obviously can't say anything because that's tampering, and I don't remember Gillis ever saying anything. Last I remember it was hearsay and speculation.

Also, how do you know Burke passed on Vokoun? Pittsburgh traded for him and signed him before he hit the market if I recall correctly.

To me, when Burke says "we believe in Reimer but we need help in goal" (paraphrasing), its him leaning more towards a stop gap solution than anything else. That is, of course, a theory.

Last edited by Commander Clueless: 01-04-2013 at 02:27 PM.