View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
First of all, I am far from convinced that the majority lose money even on paper. We have zero actual evidence of that. Second, you can lose money on paper and actually not be losing money. Third, a business that loses money can still be a valuable commodity to a vast enterprise - as a tax writeoff, for instance. Fourth, and maybe most importantly, outside of a few teams, the annual profits is not where the real money is. The real money is in franchise values which have been on average going up, and fast. A second lockout could wreck those franchise values. The owners have LOTS to lose.
And yet there's no proof that they're not losing money.

My issue isn't with those that are losing money yearly who are attempting to be competitive (say Columbus who spent nearly to the cap), but those who are being conservative (Florida, Nashville, St Louis, etc) who still have issues breaking even. I'm not saying that every team needs to post a profit... but they should certainly be able to (or break even) if they're well run and well managed. That's NOT the case today.