Thread: Speculation: Luongo: The Neverending Story
View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Yes, exactly. You are arguing its unlikely, he believes it is likely. Its balanced in the sense that its two different viewpoints based on the same set of facts spurring a discussion. Again, I lean in the same direction you do on this one but that doesn't mean its not worth discussing.

No insult is intended, but when you shoot down his statement as garbage and then proceed to complain about how it doesn't bring meaningful discussion, you only have yourself to blame.

*Sigh* You still don't understand Spasmatic Dan. A viewpoint on its own is not balanced unless it is grounded in precedent. SC's viewpoint is not, mine is. Why? Precedent. Past occurrence. Where is his statement rooted in precedent?

You think a statement is balanced simply because it is diametrically opposed by another, given the same set data? No. The only balance there is that we are on opposite ends of the spectrum. That's not balance in the viewpoint itself. If one professes a low probability occurrence to be high probability, on a whim, how is his own viewpoint grounded in reality?

Again, this is one side adopting the unlikely as likely, and the other as saying the likely is still likely. I'm not sure how you can evaluate the former to be balanced in it's assessment just based on simple logic.

Quote:
Point is, a $60M cap isn't the best scenario for Luongo and the Canucks. It will definitely make it more difficult to trade him I would have to think, although I doubt impossible to the point where a buyout would even be necessary.

The field is still the field. We shall see how difficult it is very shortly, if at all. That's not posturing. That's simply recognizing that not every GM out there is friend to the other, and that each will do what's best for his team, first and foremost.

Quote:
Ah okay. I've seen them before, but I don't put too much stock in that. Its rumours and speculation on there part for a good chunk of it. Without a CBA even if there were offers I would expect them to change when it is finalized. Burke would likely have interest but as for an actual offer who knows really?

On Vokoun, perhaps Burke was not interested in giving up a pick for a pending free agent? Perhaps he didn't like Vokoun's "bad" season and wanted something more stable? Perhaps he offered something similar but the Pittsburgh deal was taken? Or perhaps he was working on another deal and the timing was just not right?

Just because Burke didn't land Vokoun doesn't mean he wasn't interested.

There could have been a myriad of reasons, but for a 7th round pick and Burke's ability to sell, I'm surprised he didn't acquire Vokoun's rights if that's what he was looking for.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 01-04-2013 at 02:07 PM.