View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Iron Mike

vCash: 500
I have seen several posts on here implying that the owners are the losers here. I am just wondering how the owners are the real losers here? I'm not trying to be a jerk or belittle anyones opinion. I guess I just see things different.

True, the owners are not generating any money from their franchises. The fact is that even under a full season many teams lost money in the end. In order for most owners to generate profit, they need the things they are demanding (50%, make whole, lower cap). The owners can afford to drag this out as long as they want. They are highly successful business men and generate their billions and millions from means other than hockey. If you don't believe me, google some of these owners and you will see they're not exactly strapped for cash. The only way they lose is if they get hammered in court. And to be honest, I don't see that happening. Say what you will about Bettman (I am not a fan) but he has set up the owner for success in court.

Now on to the players. What do they really have to gain in all of this. If they signed the deal this minute, they would be loser no matter what. They will have each lost millions that they will never get back (not to mention possible permanent damage to the sport). They are not businessmen. Many will never get this money back. They are athletes. They have a limited time to maximize upon their earning potential. I am not trying to sound arrogant, but many barely have a high school level education and no marketable skills outside of hockey. What is a 4th line thug going to bring to a business? Losing a season would be disastrous. Many live above their means and have bills piling up. Watch the documentary "Broke" for more insight.

Now I don't like the way either side has played this. Each has acted childish and alienated the fans in an almost unforgivable manor. I believe both Bettman and Fehr should be relieved of their duties next week whether the cba is signed or not. This is just a small rant from a frustrated hockey fan. I am only a student and welcome all points of view to my post either for or against. I only ask any view of this be conveyed in a civil and respectful manner for those who may not agree.