View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 03:12 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Confusing fundamental hockey principles with actual "matching up" of players. Of course Pronger and Byfuglien met in front of the net. Byfuglien played in front on the power play and he was the crash-the-net backside winger for Toews and Kane (until his ineffectiveness saw him removed from the line and replaced with Tomas Kopecky). Pronger's responsibility would be Byfuglien there, he takes the guy in front. But it was forecasted that every time Laviolette saw Byfuglien drip off the bench that he would send Pronger out to match him. No, Pronger was out there to stop Kane and Toews...in his spare time, he rendered Byfuglien so useless that he was demoted out of the top-six as I recall...
Chicago didn't really have a top six because of how important the Bolland line was, and that's where Byfuglien went. And Chicago didn't just demote Byfuglien, they blew up their entire top line halfway through game four and spread it around. Toews turned into a dummy line of sorts to absorb Pronger/Richards with Hossa, while Kane exploited Philly's lack of depth with Sharp as a secondary offensive option. That's because the chaos Byfuglien had created in the last two series was a fundamental part of Chicago's success and Quennevile had to rethink his entire ES offensive gameplan once that stopped working.

The media narrative wasn't Byfuglien dictating Pronger's TOI, it was a matchup between the driving disruptive force of Chicago's first line and power play against one of the all-time great crease-clearing defensemen. And while Laviolette prioritized Toews over Byfuglien in terms of when to send Pronger on the ice once Chicago weakened their first line, Pronger was still the only Flyers defenseman capable of physically handling Buffy, who put up four points the first game he was away from seeing Pronger on every shift.

Quote:
I'm aware they were on the ice at the same time, in fact, they were fighting over the same ice at the same time sometimes, but it wasn't a "matchup" in the traditional sense...I guess it was a matchup like Chris Kunitz and Kimmo Timonen was a matchup last year...but that's really just basic hockey principles, not anything exceptional or noteworthy...
Chris Kunitz didn't play into Pittsburgh's overall gameplan nearly as much as Byfuglien had with Chicago until seeing Pronger. Laughable comparison.

Quote:
It's in quotation marks and then a negative point is made against it, but was it ever said? Please don't mischaracterize my point.
How would you like me to paraphrase your at-best misleading and at-worst flat out wrong post filled with a myriad of hyperbole (all of which I was trying to emulate)? I'm serious.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote