Old
01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
AWFUL coaching by a man with good charisma. There are four reasons to thinking the coaching was bad:

1. Undisciplined play. That's a coaching responsibility to ensure players be disciplined.

2. Complaining about officiating. The coaching staff have whined about "different level of officiating", insinuating it's not good at the tourney and players have mimicked that attitude with pained looks of EXCUSES. No excuses! A coach should refuse to let any player utter any word about officiating as a cop out. It's a loser's mentality.
I dunno... to me this almost an annual adjustment. It's almost independent of the overall outcome. I've seen teams win the gold while being physical and running into "discipline problems" and openly questioning the officiating. Or maintain stiffer upper lips and stoicly endure. To me, it's hard to say that really makes a difference. I thought Canada had essentially been through their adjustment period by the time the pivotal game arrived. They were reasonably disciplined. At least in terms of rules violations. They just didn't play as well as Team USA did in one game. It had nothing to do with the officiating, or their perception of the officiating, or response to the officiating. If they had played better, maybe they would have won. Just like other Canadian teams have while rolling their eyes at the officiating and racking up penalties to kill off.

Quote:
4. Unearned goaltending choice. The coaching staff has NOT rewarded the best performer with the starting job, hasn't even given the best performer in training camp and pre-tourney play a chance to start until the Bronze medal game. Subban has been decent BUT shaky, not bad BUT lacking confidence, okay BUT not key. And yet he wins the starting job and is rode all the way to the end of gold-medal contention without giving another goalie a chance in one (one) tourney game, especially when there was another goalie who showed MORE in training camp, MORE in pre-tourney play!!! A puzzling decision entirely on the shoulders of the coaching staff.
I share Team Canada's opinion that Subban is their best goalie. Would I choose to play Peter Budaj over Carey Price in the playoffs or Biron over Lundqvist etc if Budaj or Biron had a couple better games leading in to the playoffs? No. Subban was excellent against USA and Russia in the preliminary round, no reason not to continue going to him against USA. And, Binnington would not have beat USA in that game either. No junior goalie on the planet would have, the margin in overall game play was too great. I can't see this as a coaching fault either.

A chacun son gout, but I'm not finding any convincing arguments against the coaching. I'm not absolving them of guilt either, mind you. I'm just doubtful that some of these are good reasons to implicate them.

Quote:
As a Canadian I hope this coaching staff is sent packing.
Well, you're going to get that wish anyway, obviously.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote