View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I honestly feel that our defense is under-rated by most people in this forum. I'm not saying we have a top flight defense but we do have a tolerable defense.

EJ has shown signs of progression towards a top flight dman.

Hejda is a 2nd pairing level guy

O'Bryne and O'Brien aren't world beaters but they quietly do a solid job most of the time and are decent 3rd pairing guys

Hunwick is hit or miss

Wilson is a wild card, some nights he looks amazing some not so much, if he can find consistency he could easily play 2nd or 3rd pairing.

Zanon I'm not that familiar with but I've heard he is kind of like O'Brien and O'Bryne.

We also have Barrie and Elliott. I think Barrie is going to be a stud kind of a Dan Boyle or Duncan Keith light version. Barrie played very well last season. Elliott if he can get a bit stronger could become a high end offensive dman. Not to mention Seimens who really could be the next Adam Foote.

I will agree we could use a top end dman, but those don't exactly grow on trees, and teams don't exactly just part ways with them. Sometimes you just got to make do until you can get one, which is what we are doing and its not as bad as people are making it out to be.
Good post,
What i can read from this is that it's mostly about icetime . When you give a player to much icetime that he can actually handle you will see his flaws , but if you play the guy within his limits he will be effective on the ice. That's a little bit like in Baseball when they bring a pitcher saying that this guy will give you quality innings and will give you a lot of innings. In Hockey you need those guys who will give you a lot of minutes on the ice . Sadly, like you said, those players dont grow on Trees. The best solution would be to develop one ( easier said than done , i know ).