View Single Post
Old
01-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Plagers4Ever

vCash: 500
I am nominating the top three picks of the 1973 draft. So much potential in each, none of whom reached that full potential:

(1) John Davidson (what ever happened to that guy?). Stellar performance in Calgary (WCHL). I had him as a "can't miss" and was absolutely THRILLED when the Blues drafted him. I thought he would be tending goal for the Blues for a long time. He would play about 300 games in the NHL but was never the star he was projected to be. Basically, done in by his own size, too much bulk to be effective long-term and caused knee problems. A much, much better announcer and franchise re-builder than player. (One of the Blues players who was a client of time gave me ice level tickets for JD's first game back in St. Louis as a Ranger because he knew I was a big JD fan!)

(2) George Pesut. Also came out of the WCHL (Saskatoon). He was one of the best defensemen in the league his draft year and received the award for "best skating defenseman". Never signed with the Blues. Entered the NHL with the California Golden Seals and had 13 assists in 47 games in his rookie year, but then spent of the rest of his time in the minors or in Europe.

(3) Bob Gassoff. Need I say more? Another WCHL product. Initially, I really thought he was nothing more than an enforcer and tough guy. But, once he proved to every other tough guy in the NHL that he was one of the toughest, if not THE toughest, he then concentrated on improving his overall game. And improve it he did. He totally won me over. Gassoff was developing into one of the rising stars of the NHL. I firmly believe that, through his determination, dedication and drive, Gassoff was headed to stardom in the NHL. His death at such an early age was tragic on so many levels. I will never forget one game I attended at the old Arena during his last season. Not only did he win a fight, destroying the other fighter, but also scored a goal on an end-to-end rush that would have made Bobby Orr proud. (His legacy was proudly carried on by his son of the same name who quietly and courageously serves (served?) as a Navy Seal in defense of this country. )

Between Gassoff and Pesut, I thought the Blues had their "thunder and lightning" on defence for years.

Plagers4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote