View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I wouldn't go using Hart results for your argument Phil, in 74-75 they voted this way.

Bobby Clarke 127
Rogie Vachon 113
Bobby Orr 73
Bernie Parent 54
Guy Lafleur 43
Gary Smith 20
Denis Potvin 16
Marcel Dionne 12
Rick Dudley 5
Bob Nevin 5

and Phil also makes the 2nd all-star team go figure eh?

Speaking of hart voting in the early 70's does anyone really think that Bobby Orr wasn't the best player in the league in every season where he played a full season or close to it?
I think by 1974-'75 it is obvious to see that Esposito showed the first crack in the armour. He was declining starting at that time. He still had 61 goals and 127 points but he was dropping (by his standards) in even strength play and his power play goals were coming closer to his even strength goals. He had 30 ES goals in 1975 combined with 27 PP and 4 SH. Compare that to even 1974 (50 ES, 14 PP, 4 SH) and even other big years and you can see this was the beginning of the inevitable. And this was still on a team where Orr had his best statistical season ever (46 goals) and won the Art Ross. So it is obvious Orr was getting those Hart votes over Esposito because the voters saw what the stats prove, Esposito was starting to slow down even then.

I too would have picked Orr for the Hart but I understand why he didn't win it too. Clarke had just won a Cup, led the Flyers to a 1st overall finish and was the premier defensive forward in the NHL. Vachon finishes second and that Kings team was as bare as any 105 point team in NHL history. This was Vachon's team. The Bruins finished with only 94 points and were miles away from winning their division. This would have helped the voting process. There were also some rising stars developing at this time and Parent was also in the mix as well. Lots of talent to choose from that year.

But Esposito still wins the 2nd team all-star because his stats were still too hard to ignore. The Hart is a different story, but it isn't as if hadn't been a perennial Hart contender for the better part of a decade by then.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote