View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
I have nothing against Gardiner and his 30 points are impressive for a rookie but he's the same age as Subban and he wasn't even able to make the Leafs roster each game last season let alone play as their #1 guy in both an offensive and defensive role.

I'm sorry but I don't see him suddenly surpassing Subban. I think you'd have a better argument with Riellys potential but even with top prospects the odds are low that they'll ever develop into a #1 who can play in all situations which is what Subban is.
Do you expect that from a rookie? Even Karlsson had average rookie numbers his first year. Gardiner wasn't even expected to make the team. Gardiner played over 100 pro games last season. Most with the maple leafs and a long playoff run with the marlies making it to the calder cup finals. He had looked really good in the beginning of this season with the marlies as well. (Could add a Don Cherry, but I'm not that fond of the guy).

I don't necessarily know where Gardiner will end up (I think of him ultimately as a really good second pairing guy), but he has shown the ability to skate around NHL defenceman, make them look like fools at any time and was even named to the NHL all rookie team. He looks to be a really good player and the fact that the better argument is with Rielly's potential, I think it bodes well for the leafs future d core.

BTW Gardiner is one year younger than Subban.

Last edited by Atomos2: 01-05-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote