View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 01:04 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I agree, Carey Price is a good comparable.

Carey Price was also pretty unimpressive in 2008-09 and '09-10... and it's doubly unimpressive that Halak was getting a larger share of the quality starts in their split workload.

"Sens-era" Craig Anderson >> 2008-2010 Carey Price. Montreal didn't have the luxury of having a goalie as reliable as Anderson has been with us back then. If the Habs had an obvious #1 goalie, I doubt Price would have seen the workload he did, but that's admittedly speculation on my part, and we won't really ever know one way or the other.

I have no doubt that Lehner can be a very good goalie in this league, and I do like the Price comparable, but I don't want to have to go through two developmental years with Lehner as our #1 goalie. And if he's not the #1 in Ottawa (or at the very least splitting games 50/50, which I don't think is good asset management with Anderson, as he's the kind of goalie who needs to start a lot of games to be effective, IMO), he needs to be starting games. Hence: the AHL.

Again: this is a fundamental difference in how you and I see the proper development of goalie prospects.
As mentioned, Crystal Ball Huet. He always had a better Save percentage in Montreal than Anderson's .914 in Ottawa last year.

And they traded that guy to play Price.

But I'm not even suggesting they trade Anderson right now.

And again, I don't completely disagree that Lehner should be playing games... that's cool.

Say there was no lockout, and Lehner looked like the best goalie in camp (for like the 3rd year in a row): start Lehner in the NHL (as the starter). If not, start him in the AHL (as the starter obviously).

Sign a veteran goalie to a 2-way contract... a guy like Curtis Sanford. If Anderson is clearly ahead of Lehner, Sanford can backup. If Lehner is dominant (like he is doing this year in the AHL), play Lehner in the NHL and Sanford in Bingo.

So that's what I'm disappointed in. Bishop got a 1-way deal; no matter how Lehner played, no matter how dominant he was, he was playing in the AHL this year. That sucks, and is unfair to him and the fans who want to see him play (me).

Also, I'm pissed about the 2nd rounder. Give up a 5th rounder in 2012 instead at the deadline, for say, Curtis Sanford. No need for Bishop.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote