View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Ivy league team's aren't the talent-churners that Notre Dame or some other university are.

There was a guy named (probably shouldn't say his name) (had a cup of coffee in the NBA and plays pro basketball in Europe now) who was in a couple of my classes in College. Guy didn't know **** about anything but basketball. He asked what the difference between a magazine and an obituary was in a not-100 level journalism class. And he eventually graduated.

The football players were much worse than the basketball players. But those sports are big money factories at universities like Notre Dame or Florida producing guys who can make a career out of it. Football at Stanford isn't any of those things.

It's pretty simple. The CHL and NCAA are great at churning out pro-level players...at the cost of those guys not learning other stuff most people learn. Your students can't -not- suffer, on aggregate, when they're are pulled out of reading, math and science, or had homework waived to go on a bus-ride to Two Hills or a flight to a bunch of schools in Florida three times a week.
Don't get me wrong, i hear what you're saying. There are deff guys who are there as a midway point. My overall point was that you shouldn't just paint them all with one brush stroke just because of where they did or didn't go to school.