View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Canada did take a dive since then and it showed in the late 1990s during Selanne's prime. I don't know if the fact that some European countries and the odd American got better and it pushed more Canadians out or if we were just in a bit of a lull in producing more top end players but either way it is probably a combination of both. What that means is that Selanne had different competition from other parts of the world and not necessarily better competition. Not if you look at the names of the players in the NHL during each player's prime. But my point was that if there was an era to pick when the weakest group of forwards existed (just during Selanne or Dionne's primes) then the late 1990s is that time. Sure Ziggy Palffy was from Slovakia and not Montreal but that's not the point. The top end talent was still the top end talent regardless of era. I will reiterate that if you are digging this much to make a case for Selanne than you are trying to hard to justify his argument. It shouldn't be this tough. Dionne just stood out for longer and at a higher peak, even in a Wayne Gretzky led NHL.
I'm just trying to create a more level field for comparison, although it's never close to exactly equal, even from one season to the next. I think Selanne's prime ('93-'00) was tremendously competitive for finishes in goals/points, one of the most competitive eras in history IMO, only obscured by the Gretzky/Lemieux era directly preceding it (and Lemieux was at/near his peak those years he was healthy, while Gretzky was still a factor most years as well, although not close to his peak). It looks we'll have to agree to disagree, yet again.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote