View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Gaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Well, yeah. No one from that team is a lock by any means, but TT might have the closest chance.

Having Pulkkinen make it would be absolutely great as well. I want a scorer type who can find his drive, ride it through the spring to the WHC squad and from there, who knows, Sochi too. Pulkkinen, Armia, Salminen, someone else... I don't care. Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone given a freebie based on pure potential only, but I will be watching closely if there's a name who's going to rise to the required prominence. None of our current proven guns can't fill the skates that will be left empty by Teemu. Well, I don't think any youngster possibly making it can either, but it would still make me helluva lot more comfortable knowing there's someone in the squad who can snipe from spot and rarely miss.

IMO Pulu punched his ticket in 2011 at least to the final EHT, but for some odd reason Jalonen decided to favor Juuso Puustinen and Janne Lahti instead. The former was in a somewhat nice form even if he did ultimately get cut, but latter was clearly struggling already despite winning the SM-liiga scorer title. Turned out to be useless in the actual show as well, but luckily that time it turned out to be a mispick they were allowed to make.
They did have a few mispicks and free passengers that year despite getting the gold. Pulkkinen couldn't have been less useful than Lahti turned out to be in the end, Aaltonen was awful and the so-called 1st (but more like worst) defensive pairing only survived because they usually played with Koivu. The NT desperately needs fresh blood and players whose development is still ongoing, instead of useless players whose development has sadly ended, like Aaltonen, Pesonen and a bunch of others.

However, J. Jalonen hasn't been very enthusiastic about bringing in young players and has kept on using the same ones over and over again. I expect to see more of the same this spring, but a few young players could possibly make the squad. I'm all in for bringing the kids in, but they need to earn it first. Vatanen and MiG did, let's hope that at least Pulkkinen is able to do the same this year.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote