View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 09:37 AM
DJOpus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
I have to disagree.

Hell, even in my experience playing recreational sports alone, there are guys who constantly step up in pressure situations/big games and come through or are "clutch" and guys who wilt under pressure.

Great example, the rec league I play hockey... guy on our team crushes during the regular season and dangles through opponents, playoffs/big games come and he disapears as checking is tighter... meanwhile one of the mid tier players during regular season always seems to have more jump or elevate their game in big moments and seem to produce more.

I honestly can't explain it... but it's not something that fans make up, it exists for whatever reason.... different people handle pressure differently... it reveals character.... sometimes that character wilts, sometimes it elevates.

Find it hard to deny, but harder to explain why... but I do know it happens.
You explained it yourself, the checking gets tighter, the rules get called lighter and the guy who can dangle gets shutdown. As a result, the other guys on the team who are more able to play through tend to step up as they likely are bigger guys who can fight through the extra tight checking.

There are some guys who can't handle pressure but I think the amount of those guys are pretty few.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote