Thread: Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos
View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
Since my last post was a joke post and a pretty dumb one at that, I'll make a more serious contribution because what they hey, you know?

Cowen's injury sucks but it is manageable as a short term problem because we are rich with defensive guys of all ages (Methot, Phillips, Lundin, Borowiecki, even Gryba if it comes down to it, perhaps Claesson or Sdao down the road). Long-term we obviously need Cowen, but that's something we can slap a band-aid on for now.

It's Gonchar's departure, in rapid succession to Kuba's, that is the real concern. Those two combined for 69 points last year.

Gonchar is the only other skilled offensive defenseman we have after precious, precious EK. And that's the bottom line. Benoit and Wiercioch are not options to replace Gonchar in the short term, and probably not in the long term either. Wiercioch might get there eventually. We want someone who can log minutes, play on the PP, and contribute 30-40 points. With Kuba gone, we lack a two-way defenseman, and with Gonchar leaving, we need secondary offense from the blueline. Wiercioch and Benoit simply don't cut it.

I think we need a major piece here. An experienced, two-way, second-pairing defenseman with PP ability, who will stick around for a few years.
Not sure replacing Gonchar will be a big problem if the CBA is signed with a $60M cap for 2013/14.

Holdurbreathe is online now   Reply With Quote