View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
Fair enough. I hope you're right. As you said, we're all just speculating based on rumors really. I'm just concerned that the constant dragging of the feet is less about waiting for a deadline and more about genuinely not budging on some issues.

There is this feeling out there that, as the deadline approaches, both sides will start making concessions. It's certainly possible, but it's based on little more than wishful thinking. I don't know if I'm ready to buy into the "they'll never lose a season over this stuff" line of thinking just yet.
That's the REAL issue. From what's been circulated - they are REALLY freaking close, and none of the remaining issue (except potentially the pension IMO) are anywhere close to worth blowing up the season and causing even more significant damage to the brand.

And that is the part that is SO frustrating about this. By dicking around this week - they cost themselves $130M. None of the issues left would seem to have that sort of impact over the term of the CBA to justify losing that money. At this point it all seems to be about ego, which is just ludicrious from the NHL. I'm pro-owner, and at some point the league needs to be the bigger "person". Give on the stuff that doesn't really matter, and let the PA feel like they "won". The league got the important "core" long term systemic issue they felt they needed (50/50 split). The year 2013/14 salary cap number or having the out year in year 7 or 8 of the CBA isn't a huge deal. Losing an entire 2nd season WOULD be a HUGE deal.

Do whatever you have to get this done as soon as possible, and then start trying to actually mend fences where there is some trust in the relationship. If that means asking for player involvement in discussion around realignment - make it happen.