View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Notes Giacomin as the "best goalie in hockey" - let's assume that's true for a moment (not that voting records would lead us to believe otherwise anyway), can any of the other candidates make that claim for anything more than a season maybe? LeSueur? Even that, I'm highly cautious of the era...

The peak value guys would have to be licking their chops at 3, 4 years as the best in hockey, if true, no? TDMM, I'm looking your way specifically. Not as a call out by any means, but as someone I know who is not in Giacomin's corner but openly values peaks over plateaus...
Giacomin will most likely be in my top 4 this time.

Of interest, though, is that Cheevers went into the HOF 2 years before Giacomin even though he retired 2 years after Giacomin and was a WHA defector. Clearly Cheevers was highly regarded at the time.

The only mention I've heard of Cheevers in the last 2 rounds here is how he doesn't belong yet. Even though in the '74 series, Soviets vs. WHA, several Russian players stated he was the best goalie they had ever faced.

He really was a big game player. His only great stats are wins/loss. But much like Fuhr's Oilers, the Bruins didn't mind hanging Cheevers out to dry a few times in order to get more scoring chances.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote