Thread: Yuri Alexandrov
View Single Post
Old
06-10-2006, 07:07 PM
turnbuckle*

vCash: 500
Choosing a Russian defenceman in the first round is a gamble - the list of Russian defencemen drafted in the first round the past decade is pretty short, mainly because there haven't been very many solid Russian defencemen developed in Russia over the past decade.

We can't forget that Russia has the most drafted players that never come over to NA to play, so there is also that part of the risk.

Asking a couple of scouts about this year's Russian crop, they felt Anisimov is the best Russian prospect (including Vishnevsky), but he is not expected to be drafted in the top 20-25.

I'm not sure the Habs should make another gamble with a first rounder like in 2003 and to a lesser extent last season (goalies are always a gamble), although Alexandrov sounds like an interesting prospect.

I have to say I've seen about 50+ players listed as potential first rounders this season. The depth may not be as terrible as some are saying - there should be good players still available when the Habs pick in the late 40s.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote