View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
- Well, only according to the scoresheet was he really effective against San Jose. He was of pretty minimal importance as I recall throughout. Borderline invisible vs. his alleged near Conn Smythe worthy performance expectations. So, basically, he caused "chaos" against Vancouver and it somehow influenced an in-game adjustment in game 4 of a series that happened a month later? I just didn't understand the connection you made between "chaos vs. Vancouver" and lineup changes vs. Philadelphia. I tried to bridge the gap, but I just couldn't figure it out to be honest...
As much as you may want to criticize his actual play against the Sharks, it's pretty tough to discount a player who scored the winning goal either late in the third period or in OT in three of the four wins. Byfuglien may not have been the physical force he was against the Canucks, but if the only thing a player does is go out and score the decisive goal, not once but THREE times, I think most coaches will take it.

In trying to "bridge the gap", keep in mind that until Game 4 against Philly, Chicago had pretty much rolled for the last month. They had never lost back to back games up to that point, and hadn't faced any real adversity since Game 2 against Vancouver. Quenneville had to blow up his line combos, because for the last month everything had been working so well and there had been no need to adjust anything. Putting Buff up with Toews and Kane had turned the tide against the Canucks, and proven to be a winning formula against the Sharks. He wasn't just going to adandon this at the first sign of trouble. He (erroneously) thought of Buff as his "ace in the hole" against Pronger, probably because that's basically what he'd been against Vancouver and San Jose.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote