View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
And I disagree. Esposito had a very specific skillset. The right strategy had to be employed to maximize his scoring. That just was not happening in NY.

There was no Bobby Orr when Espo was showing the world how good he was at the summit series. the russian defensemen all stated "Esposito" was Canada's most dangerous player by far and that they had the hardest time stopping him.

Edit: For the record, I voted Messier in the poll. I am just tired of seeing Esposito downplayed as if Orr was the only reason he ever achieved what he did when in fact, if you are going to credit anyone, it should be Hodge and Cashman
Like I stated before the Russians hadn't played with hitting before, and Espo's size gave them fits to be sure but let's not overstate things here either.

Canada's forwards in that series were pretty horrible overall and the Russians had no respect for Clarke who was a better two way player.

Not like the respect they would have for Gainey just several years alter calling him the best player in the world or something to that affect.

Back to Espo, it's been pretty much exhausted with the evidence that strongly suggests that much of Esposito's success was a product of Orr and the Bruins, if people don't want to see all of that evidence, especially the Chicago playoff experience then that's their prerogative.

If nothing else the success of Phil in Boston really helps solidify how great Orr was during his too short NHL career.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote